Wind Ensemble mixes classic, African music in spring show

Musicians in the Wind Ensemble rehearse Tuesday for their spring performance. The concert features songs by Mozart and African composer O’Neal Douglas.

By Deanna Frances

DeKalb | The School of Music spring concert season has officially begun, despite the snow this week.

The NIU Wind Ensemble will perform at 8 p.m. today at the Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall.

The concert will feature musical selections ranging from classical pieces by Mozart to contemporary works by African composer O’Neal Douglas. Members of the ensemble said it is rewarding to be able to perform such a wide range of music.

“We’re playing some songs that aren’t your typical concert songs,” said Erica Wilkins, sophomore music performance major. “There’s a large contrast of different music.”

Other pieces being performed at the concert include “The Iberia Suite” by Ed Calle, “Symphony Op. 16” by Gunther Schuller, “Two Pieces for Three Trombones” by Raymond Premru and “Gazebo Dances” by John Corigliano.

Nick Widlowski, sophomore music education major, said it’s important students enjoy the music they are playing so they can learn from it. The ensemble’s director, Ronnie Wooten, chose the music.

“I like the music for this concert,” Widlowski said. “Dr. Wooten chooses challenging music for us, and I like the challenge.”

Michael Ouellette, sophomore music performance major, said Wooten’s song selections encourage the students to succeed.

“He sets a standard for us,” Ouellette said. “He knows what we’re capable of, and he won’t settle for anything less.”

Ouellette said although rehearsing may become tedious and challenging, the performances the students give make it all worth it.

“It’s rewarding when everyone can meet the expectations,” Ouellette said. “It brings everyone together.”