Pass/Fail: NIU Plus has strong plans, Insurance fee hike not OK

By Kim Randall

Pass: NIU Plus has strong plans

The blueprint for the NIU Plus general education changes is a collection of ideas that need to be put into place soon.

NIU has been undergoing a lot of changes to increase student retention and enrollment, improve student life and make the university better. But, it’s imperative we fix gen. eds as soon as possible, and I’m glad there’s a plan for doing that.

The proposed plan of NIU Plus is made up of three general education models: mandating freshmen and transfer students to take UNIV 101, adding an enhanced communication credit and culminating experience requirements. These models are aimed at restoring student interest in the general education program while increasing enrollment.

Freshmen and transfer students taking UNIV 101 would combat retention issues. The other two ideas are innovative and a unique addition to our general education program.

This plan’s goals are very well thought-out and attainable and should be implemented right away for success.

Students have the chance to offer their feedback in an online survey about the NIU Plus plan through May 1. I encourage all students to participate in this survey and get these changes underway. The sooner our gen. ed program is completely revamped, the better off NIU will be.

Fail: Insurance fee hike not OK

I have a love and hate relationship with the student health insurance system, but now it’s shifting more to just hate.

Due to the Affordable Care Act, benefits like birth control, pediatric dental and vision and preventative medicine that were not offered before will be included in student health insurance.

But, while we can expect to see more benefits, we will also see an increase in the cost.

This year’s premium is set at $1,060, but next year we are to see the price move up to $1,488. That is a $428 increase. “Hooray” for more coverage and benefits, but “boo” for this fee increase.

Many students are not able to pay for their own insurance or stay on their parents’, so this fee hike isn’t fair.

I applaud NIU’s effort for trying to get students more coverage, but passing them the bill isn’t right.

There has to be another way to keep a balance between cost and benefit for student health insurance.

Cover the costs with anything other than student fees. We have to deal with enough rising fees.