Pass/Fail: Rec event helps students get in shape, but law alienates those with illness

By Kim Randall

Pass: Bring A Friend Week shows what Rec can offer

The Recreation Center’s Bring a Friend Week is an event to get more students in to work out and get excited about their fitness.

Monday to Saturday, students who have a FitPass can bring along a friend to join in on any group fitness class. The best part: It’s completely free to both students.

This is a great idea to give friends without a pass or who’ve been reluctant to step foot into the Rec a chance to get in and get inspired.

With summer approaching fast, there’s no better time to get fit.

This week long opportunity gives students a glimpse into what the

Recreation Center offers students with a wide range of interests from yoga to hip-hop.

I know I certainly don’t plan on missing this opportunity.

False: New law further alienates those with illnesses

Illinois hospitals that provide mental health services now have to report a patient who is determined to be developmentally disabled or a threat to themselves and others.

This decision comes as a result of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act aiming to prevent “clear and present danger.”

I believe this act will only bring more issues. The way it is set up — reporting patients rather than helping them — is asking to further alienate patients from hospitals.

Mental health is a significant issue right now and it should be handled appropriately.

Patients who appear to need extensive care should receive more counseling and patience from these facilities rather than being judged and diagnosed harshly as though they are criminals.