Use syllabus week to ease into spring semester

By AJ Edwards

Start semester off stronger than ever

It is time to abandon our winter break routines and apply ourselves to academics. This is not always an easy task.

Re-adjusting to the scholastic routines we need in order to succeed can be stressful, but I assure you it is fairly simple. Each student has his or her own trick to stay on track.

“The biggest thing for me is to have a set schedule in mind in relation to work and school,” said senior nursing major Nicole Pynenberg. “After that is figured out I just make sure everything is ready to hit the ground running: books are bought, supplies are ready and my work space at home is clean and prepared.”

One of the best ways to get a head start on your semester is to take advantage of the fact that the workload will be minimal for the first week or two.

Review your syllabi and figure out a plan to ensure you have enough time allotted to write papers, study for tests and review your assigned readings.

Also, your syllabi have important contact information for your professors or teacher’s aides. If you begin to feel you do not understand something and need extra help, refer to your class syllabus and schedule an appointment to meet with your professor.

Get ahead in the semester by taking advantage of the lighter loads you will have for the next few weeks by doing early reading of your textbooks. If you haven’t gotten your textbooks, get them. The sooner you get them the less likely it will be that the bookstore runs out.

“I make sure that I have all of my books bought about a week before classes begin,” said senior English major Jason Reynen. “This way I am able to make sure that I have all of the materials I need and I don’t have to worry about missing any assignments because I put off buying my books and now the bookstore is out.”

Even skimming is a great way to brush up on anything you have forgotten and become introduced to upcoming topics.

It seems like college students always want to throw a party for just about anything: end of the semester, end of midterms and homecoming.

While it is great to blow off steam, remember there is a lot of work left to be done, and you have to be responsible.

Ensuring you get a good night’s rest, you are not hung over or exhausted, you have eaten healthy food and you are ready to take on the day will do you wonders on your academic voyage.

It is time to buckle down and study; partying can come later.

I hope everyone had a fun and safe winter break and was able to spend time with their family and do the things they love. Now, it is time we get back into academic mode and kick some butt.