LaFe salsa night focuses on culture, religion

By KeAndre Worthy

Students salsa danced into the night Monday as a way to become closer to each other and learn about religion.

LaFe, the Latino Christian Fellowship student organization, hosted Salsa Night in the Holmes Student Center. Students were invited to come out and salsa. Free lessons were given to those who were unfamiliar with the dance.

“The event didn’t cost anything to host. The school let us rent out the room and our dancing instructors are donating their services,” said Joscelyn Cuyun, LaFe leader.

LaFe is a Christian bible study group. Its mission is to reach out to every Latino student and inform them of Christ.

“[Salsa Night] is a pretty cool idea,” said Nicholas Basuel, freshman mechanical engineering major. “It engages people and Christians to get together to just have fun.”

Cuyun said Salsa Night is the last main event that LaFe will have this semester, though members will host empanada sales to raise money for their national conference in Florida.

“[Salsa Night] is a really great event for those people who love Latin dancing and just want to come out to have fun for a few hours,” said freshman accountancy major Kyle Smiley.

LaFe is a smaller branch of the student organization InterVarsity. InterVarsity is a campus ministry that focuses on bringing Christianity to all students. They do this through group bible studies, gatherings on campus, leadership training and conferences.

“I love Latin dancing for the music and the females, but mainly because it was a cool way to get closer with my Hispanic friends,” Smiley said.

LaFe asked for $5 donations to fundraise during Salsa Night.

“[The donations are] to help us fundraise to our conference, LaFe13, a conference where all LaFe groups from all over the nation get together and learn and worship God in Florida,” Cuyun said.