Take time earning your degree to be happy

By AJ Edwards

I think there is nothing wrong with taking a longer path toward graduation. In fact, I believe taking an extra year or so can actually be helpful for students.

Typically the end of one semester marks the beginning of a hectic scramble to plan for the next, and it often feels like there is no time to take a breath. Instead, why not stay an extra semester or two while earning a degree instead of rushing in and out in four years?

One of the major benefits of taking your time to graduate is you get the opportunity to experience more options during your college career.

If you start off as a business major but find you really enjoyed your theater class, invest more time in those classes. Later, if you fall for the art of acting and writing for theater more than earning that business degree, switch your major and start studying your passion.

Why should you force yourself to follow a career path you may have been pressured into by family or one you simply realize you’re not as interested in as you initially thought? If you find something you love to do, no matter what it is or when you find it while you’re in college, I say take the setback and go for it.

“I found that taking my time in college helped me discover myself and what I really want to do,” said Nicholas Kalina, sophomore music education major. “It took me getting a bachelor’s in something I didn’t want to finally find something that I had passion for.”

Don’t feel obligated to settle for a major just because you’ve invested a year or two in it. If you don’t love what you’re learning, it’s a waste of time and money to force yourself into a related career. It’s much worse to study something you’re apathetic toward than switching gears midway to something you love.

“I could easily change my degree to something different to shorten my time at NIU by at least a year,” said junior English major Jason Reynen. “But since I know I want to be a teacher, the extra time needed to finish my extra education classes and student teaching don’t really phase me at all.”

Another benefit to taking your time to finish getting your degree is the stress you are going to avoid going through with it. Instead of cramming in too many classes in one semester and burning yourself out, take a semester where you only do three classes to ease your mind and catch a much-needed break.

If you’ve been taking summer classes and regular classes nonstop for a couple of years, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a summer off or you might end up wearing yourself down too much.

We all know four years can feel like forever, especially when we are dying to get out to the real world and make some money and finally be independent.

Remember: Rushing to finish your degree in four years or less could actually do more damage than you might have guessed.

Take your time, do great things, and I promise you will find more happiness in your life.