Asian American Association to host fashion show today

By Guadalupe Lopez

In celebration of Asian American Month the Asian American Association (AAA) will host its seventh Annual Fashion Show, Golden Globe, at 7 p.m. today at the Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center.

AAA participants will model clothes from their own closets, Goodwill and local stores for charity. Events from previous years focused on fashion through dance, but this year will be a little different.

“This year we’re not focusing so much on choreography,” said AAA president Abner Palevino. “We’re more focused on having fun and exhibiting fashion.”

Models will show off their outfits while performing scenes from films like “School of Rock” and “High School Musical.” They will also perform a Pokémon-themed scene.

“It’s a free event but we will have a charity donation and all proceeds will go to the Asian Human Services in Chicago,” said AAA president-elect Margaret Gray.

Event coordinator Lisa Hembrador said 100 to 150 people attended the fashion show last year, and she expects this year to be successful.

The AAA’s goal is to strengthen the Asian voice on campus and unite the Asian community.

“We want to show that even though we’re not the majority, we’re still prevalent on campus,” Hembrador said.

The organization hosts monthly meetings where other Asian-based organizations come together to plan events, discuss issues and socialize.

Two more events will take place this week in celebration of Asian American Month. There will be a Spring Banquet on Friday and an End-of-the-Year BBQ on Sunday. For more information, contact the Asian American Center at 815-752-1177.