Local cosmetology school offers salon training

By Erin Kolb

Debutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail Technology, 145 N. Third St., offers its students the opportunity to practice skills in a real salon setting.

Becky Rogers, one of the owners of the school, said there are a variety of classes students can take including courses in cosmetology, nail technology, esthetics (skin care) and instructor training. After taking certain required courses, students get the chance to practice their skills on real-life clients who visit the salon. All clinical services are performed exclusively by students under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor.

“One of the things that we really pride ourselves in is that we picked DeKalb for a reason and we wanted to be able to offer students seeking cosmetology as a career a way to be able to still feel as though they were participating in a college environment,” Rogers said. “I think we do a really good job here of making students feel like they’re in college even though it’s not necessarily a traditional two-year or four-year university.”

Students start with level one courses, which cover the basics of their program. After completing the required courses, students begin taking level two courses, in which students work with salon clientele and continue classroom courses. Rogers said it usually takes students about 13 months to earn their degrees and they benefit from living in a college town.

Rogers said there are currently more than 50 students enrolled in the school, which runs on a 1,500-hour program, requiring students to log at least that amount of total hours before graduation.

Rogers said there are students who commute and some who live in DeKalb. A benefit of the school, she said, is that the services offered are usually at lower prices at than regular salons, so it attracts people who can’t afford or don’t want to pay high prices for salon services.

Rogers said students are often complimented on the quality of the work, especially when it comes to hair-coloring and skincare treatments. Junior sociology major Hayley Vaughn has had her hair colored by students at the school before.

“My hair is long and thick, so if I dyed it at home I’d have to buy two or more boxes of dye,” she said. “I know the students need the practice more than I do so I came here and got it done. The color turned out really evenly, which I know most people might not expect from students.”

Rogers said clients aren’t generally put off by the educational nature of the services.

“I think that clients sometimes are nervous because they’ve never been to another school before,” Rogers said. “Students are under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor. I think that when we tell clients that, they’re very comfortable with it.”

DeKalb resident Katie O’Brien said she has never been to Debutantes School, but sees the benefit for students.

“I think the best way to learn is by doing things hands-on,” she said. “By doing that and interacting with real customers I think helps students see the real-life application of their studies.”