Huskie Bus seven route causing upset with students

Students board the Route 7 Huskie Bus at the Holmes Student Center.The route 7 bus has seen some changes to its route this year.

By Gino Hernaiz

Christiana Salazar used to ride Huskie Bus route seven when it ran every half hour from the Holmes Student Center to Walmart last year.

But now the bus route has changed for all the students who ride it. The pre-physical therapy major can now only reach the bus every hour instead of every half hour. Salazar said the route was more convenient last year. She usually has to get home to make her family dinner.

“I’m always afraid I’m going to miss the bus and then I won’t have a backup plan to get home on time,” Salazar said.

Route seven now runs on an hourly basis, said Seth Peritz, Student Association director of Mass Transit. Students have been complaining to Peritz about route seven.

The bus route is not the only means of transportation for students. Students can also use a car, bike or walk to where they need to. Students are able to use the bus system by showing the driver their OneCard because it is funded by student fees and fare box revenues, according to the Huskie Line Bus website. The general public can use the buses as well, as long as they pay $1.

Peritz said route seven was changed to reach areas it did not travel to before. The route now has two buses that follow separate routes, he said. Last year, route seven followed a single route. Bus route seven now has two buses for two routes: bus route seven and bus route 7A.

Julia Thomas, freshman pre-nursing major, said she takes the bus every other week to go to Walmart or Target. Thomas said it would be more convenient to have a bus arriving every half hour.

“If you miss the bus, you know that there’s another one coming shortly,” Thomas said.

Route seven takes students to Walmart and Target. Peritz said the new route allows for more people to take advantage of the bus system to visit shops in DeKalb and Sycamore Road that they may not have been able to reach before. Students and the general public can use the bus to shop for clothes at retail stores like T.J. Maxx or Rue21. Schnucks now has a stop when taking the 7A bus route, Peritz said.

“There are no plans to change the route at the moment, but we will make plans based on an assessment of the routes next semester,” Peritz said.