SA Senate to provide funds for bus trips to MAC championship, eliminates SA position

Senator Domke and Senator Frank listen in on the Bill to appropriate Supplemental funds to the MAC championship in the Senate meeting on Sunday. Approximately $9000 will be used towards providing a bus ride to Detroit and food for NIU students. The game will take place on November 30th vs. Kent State at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan.

By Erin Kolb

The Student Association (SA) will fund a trip for students for the upcoming MAC Championship game.

The SA Senate passed a bill to give $8,000 to help provide bus trips to the game at its meeting Sunday. The game will take place on Nov. 30 in Detroit. SA Senate Speaker Austin Quick said the trip will be fun for students.

“It’s important that we give students an avenue to attend these events,” Quick said. “I think it’s good for morale. I think it’s good to boost the school spirit.”

The SA’s donation will supplement $1,700 in funds the Campus Activities Board will provide for the trip. The SA’s donation will also help pay for the $9,000 bus costs. Quick said NIU will use the additional funds to provide meals for students when they arrive in Detroit.

In order to be eligible for the bus trip, students must be in good academic standing with the university, Quick said. Students should also be in good standing with the community.

Quick said tickets will go on sale at 11 a.m. today. Students can purchase a ticket package at the SILD office in the Campus Life Building, Room 150. The tickets will cost between $10 and $20, Quick said.

The Senate also passed a bylaw changing positions and requirements within the SA. The president pro tempore position was removed. Quick said removing the position would save the SA $200 a month. The president pro tempore was getting paid $50 per meeting, he said. The speaker will immediately handle the duties of the position. Former President Pro Tempore Brian Troutman stepped down from his position.

“The position is something that was implemented a few years ago when the speaker didn’t have a lot of experience with the proper drills,” Quick said.

Quick said the SA Senate would have to elect a new speaker again at its Dec. 2 meeting. The SA rules and procedures committee decided Quick could not limit the election of the new speaker to fewer candidates as he had during the Nov. 11 speaker elections.

The Senate recognized several student organizations. The National Honor Society of Collegiate Scholars and Mock Trial, Spoken Word, National Society of Collegiate Scholars and Exercise Science clubs were recognized by the Senate.

Six senators were absent during the meeting.