Faculty senate discusses changes to NIU mission statement

Alan Rosenbaum holds an open discussion on how to make the mission statement draft unique to NIU in a Faculty Senate meeting in the Holmes Student Center Wednesday afternon.

By Joe Palmer

NIU will have a new mission statement in the future.

The Faculty Senate met Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center Sky Room to discuss the mission statement, among other topics. NIU’s mission statement was last revised in 2003. The current series of revisions was mandated by the Board of Trustees in order to better reflect the vision, values, purpose, goals and aspirations of NIU.

Faculty Senate president Alan Rosenbaum submitted a draft of the revised statement, that was created by a special committee of university representatives and administrators. The committee’s draft was discussed on the floor of the Faculty Senate, where members offered suggestions.

Some, like mechanical engineering professor Milivoje Kostic, thought the draft was too close-minded, and wanted to see a more expansive mission.

“Why would NIU aim to be the premier student-centered research-focused university in the Midwest? Why not the world?” Kostic said.

Marketing professor Debra Zahay-Blatz, thought the mission statement sounded too generic.

“This mission statements seems too generic,” Zahay-Blatz said. “A Google search of ‘Student-centered public university Midwest’ comes up with Western Michigan University as a top result. We should focus on a more unique approach toward our mission.”

Rosenbaum plans to bring the suggestions and ideas back to the mission statement committee later this month. The draft will make its way through other university organizations and groups until being approved by the Board of Trustees.

The Faculty Senate also discussed various reports for campus committees and representatives, including a report on the Student Association. The report included plans to audit the top 10 student organizations that receive SA funding, including the SA itself.

Another report from the NIU Board of Trustees Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee detailed the 1.55 percent rise in student room rates for fiscal year 2013. Rosenbaum said the rise is a modest increase to cover increases in energy and other operation costs for the dorms. No rate increase for board fees has been planned.

The Committee on Resources, Space and Budgets presented a report that outlined the current economic status of NIU.

According to the report, NIU is currently owed $55 million by the state for fiscal year 2012, and has received $38 million thus far for 2012.

The meeting adjourned after a first reading of a motion to change the Faculty Senate’s bylaws regarding the process of setting an agenda.