Age shouldn’t matter in relationships

By Martha Lueck

A major issue that sets college apart from high school is age difference in relationships.

Sure, in high school, many students think it was cute to see a freshman dating a senior. But it was also weird, not to mention risky when it came to how adults responded to the age difference.

While we don’t make a big deal out of an age gap in college, I still think it is important to think about maturity levels when dating someone younger or older than you.

As seen throughout the last two and a half years I’ve been on campus, it is clear that the maturity level of a freshman differs from that of a senior. When you think about it, most traditional freshmen are 18 or 19. They are still figuring out the way college works, the grading system, how to manage their time, etc. This is a different way-of-life with new experiences. Nelle Youel, freshman pre physical therapy major, feels maturity is more important than age.

“I think it’s just a different maturity level once you reach college that matters,” Youel said. “In college, you kind of know what you’re looking for.”

While it might be assumed that older people are more mature, I question whether age really equals more maturity. People who already finished college are on their way to the start of their own life. In most cases, they even have the routes figured out. In this way, age and maturity are linked.

But students should still be careful with this concept and not go for somebody just because they assume the person will be more mature.

Freshman psychology major Destiney Smith sees the danger in this as well.

“[An older partner] could take advantage of you because they know you’re naive, and you haven’t been through [as much as them],” Smith said. “So they’re gonna trick you, make you fall in love and hurt you.”

Aside from thinking about whether maturity and age really reflect each other, some younger people ask themselves why a person of a certain age might be right for them. Does it really matter? Shouldn’t you be more concerned with the person’s interests and why you like him or her?

If you’re a freshman looking for a good time without any level of commitment, it’s not really necessary to go for someone 10 years older. Have a level of self-respect. Don’t go for someone just because they’re “more experienced” or you “think hooking-up with him/her would be easier.” For every woman who think it’d be weird to date a college guy who’s a year or two younger, don’t feel like it’s because younger guys are immature.

It’s understandable that preferences have to do with personal experiences. Just don’t apply a few bad experiences to everyone. In fact, Smith pointed out the benefits to keeping an open mind and disregarding age.

“Sometimes, the type that [a person] likes isn’t always the best type for them,” Smith said.

Just as maturity and experience matter, personality can overrule age as well. If you’re content with yourself and you’re outgoing and funny, you’re more likely to become attracted to someone who’s outgoing and funny. But if there are things you cannot stand about yourself, you’re more likely to look for someone who has opposite personality traits. For example, if you don’t like your immature side, don’t go for someone just because you think they’re more mature than you are. Smith pointed out that age shouldn’t be the most important factor in a relationship.

“Age isn’t always a factor when it comes to what people have,” Smith said. “You can be young and still have a lot.”

Sometimes, you find someone who might not fit your ideal boyfriend or girlfriend, but that’s okay. Don’t think just because they’re younger than you, they’re probably immature. At the same time, don’t assume someone who’s older than you is someone you should be with either.