Is Joe Walsh what America needs?

By Parker Happ

Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh (R-8) spoke at NIU College Republicans’ meet and greet event yesterday night, Northern Star columnist Parker Happ spoke with Walsh on his views about education, the Republican Party, and curbing student apathy towards politics.

Education

Walsh said, as far as cost goes, “college in general is too expensive.” Today, $1 trillion in outstanding student loan debt exists for Americans and, in 2010, the average student loan debt of graduates rose to over $25,000. Consider the fine increases on campus concerning penalties for minor offenses and the increase in fees for parking passes in the future. Few are calling for academia to rein in ever-increasing cost transfers to students.

Instead, the need for plans with vision and a system hell-bent on following the doctrine of perceived continual, gradual progress will seldom take a moment to evaluate what resources we already have and how to more effectively use them.

So how should government approach education policy? “I tend to believe the more government gets involved in [education], the more they tend to mess up the whole equation,” Walsh said.

I would tend to agree, but less government involvement in education has not been the strategy of the White House. President Obama recently introduced his Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, aimed at restructuring student loan debt and saving students money.

According to Fox News, however, the so-called “savings” for students would be in reducing the maximum monthly payment from 15 percent to 10 percent of income resulting in less than $10 savings per month for average student loans borrowers.

“The President and Democrats in general have an easier message to sell to young people,” Walsh said. “They are basically telling young people, ‘I’m with the government and I’ll do things for you. I’ll give you things.'”

Realize, though, Obama’s approach to dealing with student debt is not sustainable. It stands to consolidate debt and could create another bubble comparable to that of the sub-prime mortgage bubble of 2008. Students will be promised “easy payments” now with no thought of the cost later

This isn’t an easy sell though and Republicans have faced sharp criticism in the mainstream media for being the party of ‘no,’ playing politics and not fostering change.

The Republican Party

In recent years the GOP has been trending more conservative. Much of this is the result of popularity garnered through the energetic Tea Party. All the while, this faction has been shaping the conversation in Washington.

It can be hard not to become frustrated with Washington and the system as it stands. By the numbers, America is $15 trillion in debt. Politically, this has led to a combined effort by Senate and House leaders now in the Super Committee. With 1.2 trillion dollars in cuts on the table, political movements like the Tea Party have sought to influence the conversation of how to cut back Washington.

“Because we are [in Congress] we have been able to push the Republican Party to be more like the party of limited government and free enterprise,” Walsh said.

Conservative GOP candidates Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann have gathered support for their candidacies by standing with this message as well.

Deep down, however, there is a larger message beyond the sound bytes and press releases of Washington to be realized. Understanding what candidates stand for and how your local elected officials propose legislation is a great first step in civic responsibility.

Student Apathy

When asked what students should do in light of America’s political scene today, Walsh said, “Wake up! My message is wake up, start paying attention, and be smart. This country we love is going through a revolution.”

Walsh alluded to the changing tide of the American political landscape and the importance of young voters to not be left behind.

Apathy will not allow you to see that President Obama’s dedication to propose solutions by government for the American people has coincided with 9 percent employment consistent since May 2009.

Instead of keeping with the status quo, understand why it is Republicans have been keen to steer away from Keynesian economics and propose changes to the system centered on lowering taxes, limiting government and overal cutting spending.

With the 2012 election in mind and President Obama at a near heat with a general Republican candidate in the polls, the Conservative dialogue is becoming a more accepted view amongst Americans.

Walsh summarized the message in saying, “When we turn towards government to solve all our problems, government doesn’t do most things very well and it will bankrupt us as a country.”