Kishwaukee College offers a wide range of continuing education courses

A Kishwaukee Community College student works on learning how to make  stained glass in a recreational class.

MALTA | Taking a course in brewing beer or the fundamentals of knitting are only a few of the continuing education classes available at Kishwaukee College, 21193 Malta Road.

The unique classes cater to students who want to learn a new hobby and those who are interested in picking up new skills for their business, said creative communications specialist Laura Chiavini. The classes cater to different areas – arts, mythology, horticulture, etc. – and different age groups; there is a section of courses designed to educate and keep healthy the baby boomer generation.

The courses may seem odd, but they offer important information, said Jean Kartje, vice president of instruction at Kishwaukee College.

“Kishwaukee College serves the local communities and offers a number of courses in agriculture, including Equine Hoof Science,” Kartje said. “This is a one-credit class that studies ‘the horse’s movement as it relates to hoof care…and basic farrier skills.’ Since I hadn’t worked in an agricultural community before coming to Kishwaukee College, that class struck me as odd, but it is an important knowledge base for anyone working with horses or stable management.”

Chiavini said that the class options change and continuing education directors Kris Stefani and Lisa March “keep their fingers on the pulse of what’s going on” to determine what courses will be offered. Chiavini said one of the most popular classes, introduction to stained glass, has been offered for a number of years, while others come and go.

“Continuing education, by its very premise, is designed to enrich community members,” Chiavini said. “It really appeals to a wide variety of people in the community. If you are looking for something, you will find it here.”

Kishwaukee College freshman Taylor Bishop said she would be interested in taking the continuing education courses.

“I haven’t heard of anything like that,” Bishop said. “I’m working toward my Gen. Eds. now, but I’d take those courses later on.”

Prices for the classes and their supplies vary. The classes are open to everyone in the community.

“We have students who come to take a course or two to learn about floral design or who sign up to explore detective fiction or keyboarding,” Kartje said. “Although certain prerequisites may be required, if the student has the interest and ability, he or she can study in a wide range of disciplines or programs at Kishwaukee College.”