Students have a variety of dining options around campus

Kevin Choi, freshman electrical engineering major purchases a sub from Subway.

By Hailey Kurth

Going home for lunch during the week can be tough, especially for students with back-to-back classes. For those students, there are a number of food options available across campus.

“We try to give students options,” said Michael Stang, executive director for Housing & Dining, “It’s nice to have a grab and go unit, so if students don’t have time to sit, they can still eat.”

DuSable has the DuSable Dugout located by the front doors.

“We are really busy,” said Rachel Wurster, senior pre-physical therapy major and Dugout employee. “People always come once or twice a day to get coffee.”

The Dugout offers items like hot dogs, wraps, sandwiches, bagels, nachos, Uncrustables, veggie trays and a variety of drinks.

“Morning is coffee, afternoon is hot dogs,” said Lauren Wright, sophomore special education major and Dugout employee.

Other buildings offer similar quick stops as well; Three Sons Café in Barsema Hall, the Trident in Neptune, the Expressway Café in Stevenson and Founders Café in the basement of Founders Memorial Library.

“A majority of people are coming from class,” said Roxanne Smith, junior public health major and Trident employee.

The Trident is usually busy after classes get out around 11 a.m. or noon, Smith said.

“The smoothies run out the fastest,” said Ebony Seigo, junior physical education major and Trident employee.

The Student Center also offers cafeteria-style seating with many tables near the bus turnaround. The Blackhawk Food Court and the Huskie Hub offer cafeteria-style food, and the Coffee Corner offers a caffeine fix for students on the go. A Subway is also located next to the Huskie Hub.

“I commute so I have to eat on campus,” said Laura Gee, freshman art education major. “I like Subway the best, but sometimes my friends and I go to McDonalds.”