General education courses are not a waste of time

By Letter writer

As a person who works in advising and is a student balancing a major and a minor, I have heard both sides of the argument concerning general education requirements. While many students roll their eyes, I have seen numerous benefits from having the requirement, than not.

Jack Baker made the point that taking classes outside one’s major makes the student more well-rounded. It opens our eyes to things we may have never known or cared to learn. I’m an art major – why should I have to learn about science or math? It turns out that they contain concepts and ideas that can wildly impact projects I do.

Alyssa Pracz says that most students have experienced basic topics, such as English and COMS, when in high school. If that’s the case, why are so many people not very good at writing a paper or public speaking? These are skills that are fundamental no matter what career you go into, whether it be business, pharmaceutical or art. Communicating ideas clearly is a highly underrated skill.

Students should give more thought to their future if they think they are “wasting” one or two years of their lives by taking general education classes. If your major doesn’t start with relevant classes in freshmen or sophomore year and finances are truly your concern, then go to a community college and transfer later. Like it or not, general education courses really do help and give you more to work with rather than remaining ignorant to facets of the world.

Virginia Hoesly

sophomore illustration major