No reason not to go to the MAC Wrestling Championships

By Mike Romor

NIU will host some of the top wrestling programs in the Midwest and some of the best wrestlers in the nation over the weekend when the MAC Championships come to the Convocation Center on March 5-6.

NIU wrestlers believe this event being in DeKalb helps their NCAA chances, so there is no reason for NIU students and the local fan base not to attend one of the biggest wrestling events NIU has ever held.

The NIU wrestling team will try and use the additional boost of having the home atmosphere on the mats throughout the two-day showcase.

Although the Huskies struggled in conference play, any extra energy provided by the local community and student body should be a major factor in their performance over the weekend. In the AC Championships, wrestlers will be individually grappling for one of eighteen qualifying positions in the NCAA Championships, so the stakes are pretty high.

For NIU, senior Bryan Deutsch is looking to qualify for his third-straight trip to the NCAA Championships. This time around, he believes it will be a much better atmosphere because he will be able to wrestle in front of more of his friends and fellow students.

Having a large student body to cheer on the NIU wrestlers would certainly provide extra determination for the team. With the event occurring at home and anticipation building, fans should be looking forward to the meet almost as much as the wrestlers.

Although the turnout to NIU’s home meets did not have much attendance from the student body, having the MAC Championships at the Convocation Center will give students something exciting to attend over the weekend. With most wrestlers having family and friends at the event, NIU wrestlers are hoping the local community will flock to see them represent their school for the chance to win the MAC title. Junior Brad Dieckhaus described the hometown advantage as a huge asset if the community can attend and get involved.

With the NIU wrestling season and head coach Dave Grant‘s career coming to an end at the Convocation Center, students should feel compelled to see their school’s team perform even if they are unfamiliar with the sport. This is the brightest stage for MAC wrestling, and NIU is hosting.

It’s a great opportunity for fans of NIU athletics to support their team to the fullest. Don’t claim to have school spirit if you can’t make it out to see NIU athletes chase a conference championship.

Action will be nonstop through the weekend, starting with the preliminary matches at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday and ending with the award ceremony set to take place at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday.