Implementing a plus/minus grading system hurts current students

By Letter Writer

In regards to the implementation of a new grading system at NIU, I must express my deep concern. I see many problems arising out of such a system being placed on the students who are well into their degree programs.

With the amount of stress already being placed on students to perform at such a high level, the plus/minus grading system would only increase the tension.

I agree that faculty may be concerned about the amount of leeway they have in grading. On the other end of the spectrum, however, students deserve some room for error.

When a student is taking five or six classes, the amount of work required to receive his or her desired grades is already substantial.

It doesn’t take much for a student to fall a percentage point or two in a class, which in the new system would have a great impact on the GPA.

Another possible problem with the new system is cheating. I know we like to think we are all honorable students, but the fact is that not everybody follows the code.

The increase in expectations means an increase in competition leading some individuals to cheat on assignments or exams.

I have seen this happen firsthand as I attended a high school with such a grading system. I’ll just say that some people were praised for their cleverness rather than their abilities and comprehension.

Alteration of study habits will be another issue among upperclassmen. Years of successful study habits will have to be adapted to fit the new system.

Students will have to sacrifice more time in their busy schedules already occupied by work, rest and extracurriculars in order to ensure they have that extra bit of abstract information memorized for the test that they will eventually forget once the semester is over. This makes little sense to me.

I am not one to normally speak up about matters, but when something has the potential to affect my life and future as greatly as this system, I will voice my concerns.

Some of us plan on attending graduate school and this system may hurt our chances due to the competitiveness of admission. I assume I am on the side of the majority while writing this so I urge students to vote against the measure when it comes up.

If the system does pass, I plead to the university that the measure is grandfathered in to avoid conflicts. It is the students who will be affected by this more than anyone else; we deserve our say in the matter.

Andrew Schuck

sophomore biology major