Sycamore man makes the tiger blood cut

By Dave Gong

DeKALB | Alex Broches, founder of the social networking site CollegeJunkee.com, is one of three Illinois finalists in actor Charlie Sheen’s Tiger Blood internship. Broches, 23, is a Sycamore resident and recent graduate of NIU.

The internship is a paid eight-week internship, during which the intern will be responsible for managing Charlie Sheen’s social media. Applications for Sheen’s internship opened on March 7, following a post on the actor’s Twitter account . Over 75,000 people applied for the position. Broches does not believe there will be too much difficulty working with the actor if he is selected.

“There are crazier things out there than Charlie Sheen,” Broches said.

There are 250 finalists nationwide, though only three reside within Illinois according to NBC Chicago and Fox Boston. The other two Illinois finalists are Mike Zima, a Columbia College student from Skokie, and Mike Castro, a Southern Illinois University graduate and Glenview native, NBC Chicago reported.

Broches said he believes he has more to offer than the other two Illinois finalists.

Broches launched CollegeJunkee.com from his mother’s basement last year, he said. The website has since gained popularity among NIU and Kishwaukee College students. Broches said he first noticed a rise in the popularity of the website three or four months after the site was launched.

“I noticed it in class, when some students two or three rows up from me were on the site chatting with other students,” Broches said.

Broches has also gained media attention due to CollegeJunkee.com. Broches is finishing filming an episode of MTV’s “True Life”, which is scheduled to air in late August. Broches also has an unpaid social media internship for actor Andy Dick, where he runs the actor’s Facebook marketing plan.

Broches has big plans for CollegeJunkee.com, starting with a re-launch of the site on April 3.

“The site will be redone from scratch and will look completely different,” Broches said. “We are relaunching the site as a dating site.”

The redesigned website will be a free dating site for NIU and Kishwaukee College students, though Broches said he hopes to take the website national following the release of the True Life episode in August. The new version of the website will also offer an advertisement bar where anyone, including businesses, bands and DJs, can pay to advertise for $1 per day.

Broches said he is open to anyone who wishes to contact him with questions regarding CollegeJunkee.com and will be offering internships for the website in the future. Broches can be reached at [email protected].