NIU closes all campus locations due to blizzard

A student walks into the Holmes Student Center from the MLK Commons during the blizzard conditions Monday night.

By Allyson Martin and Alex Fiore

DeKALB | Stay indoors, keep warm, and thank the snow for no classes.

The National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for all campus locations Tuesday and will extend through afternoon today.

Due to the hazardous conditions, NIU cancelled classes for today. All NIU educational centers, including campuses in Rockford, Hoffman Estates and Naperville, are also closed.

According to the university website, the Huskie Bus Line will not be running today either.

NIU meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste said the storm will affect student and faculty travel plans.

“It will affect them quite a bit,” Sebenste said. “Travel will be extremely slow going due to heavy snow and high winds, bringing visibilities down to near zero at times.”

Sebenste also said roads will be difficult to maneuver.

“[The roads will be] in very bad shape,” Sebenste said. “Snow covered, and roads drifting shut due to strong north winds.”

Steven Cunningham, vice president for human resources and compliance, said the storm will affect administrative personnel as well.

“When the president authorizes an emergency closure, a number of staff, who are essential service personnel, are expected to report for duty,” Cunningham said.

The remaining faculty are allowed to stay home with pay.

“People who come in during cancellations are there to ensure the welfare of students and faculty,” Cunningham said.

Housing and Dining employees as well as hall directors are part of the essential personnel expected to be on campus today.

Employees from residential technology do not need to come to work, so Restech will be running on reduced staff, said Jan Gerenstein the associate director of Restech.

“We will be open during regular hours, but there will be less people,” said Gerenstein.

NIU President John Peters came back to campus for the emergency, and many of the division heads and supervisors for essential tasks will be here today, Cunningham said.

“This particular storm has more snowfall than we have seen in many years, so clean up and snow removal will take a little longer,” Cunningham said.

Ken Whitney, interim director of dining services, said that the dining halls will also be open today.

“We will be open and try to stay as close to normal hours as possible,” Whitney said.

Whitney said some small changes may be possible. Douglas Hall breakfast will not open until 8 a.m. instead of the usual 7 a.m., and changes to the planned menu may be possible.

According to a prerecorded message, Recreation Services will hold regular hours today, but classes at the Student Rec Center will be canceled.

Founders Memorial Library will be closed, said Ashley Warren, a library employee and a senior geology and environmental science major.