Campus crime blotter for 1/31/11

By Northern Star staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Dec. 6

• At 11:03 p.m., a resident of Grant South reported a residential burglary. The complainant stated that when she returned to her room, the door was unlocked and she found several of her roommate’s belongings in disarray. The complainant was missing a pair of speakers. Pending any new leads, this case is administratively closed.

Dec. 7

• At 1:09 p.m., there was a report of computer tampering. Pending new information, this case is administratively closed.

Wednesday

• At 12:44 a.m., an officer on routine patrol of Stevenson South smelled the odor of burnt cannabis on an individual entering a room where the officer was greeting someone. The individual produced cannabis. He was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful possession of cannabis 30 grams and under.
  • At 8:22 p.m., a student reported the theft of his cell phone. He left it on the sidelines while playing basketball at the Campus Recreation Center. When he returned to retrieve it, it was gone. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 9:28 p.m., officers were advised of the strong odor of cannabis from a particular room at Douglas Hall. After being granted voluntary entry to the room, the occupant revealed a bag of cannabis and a smoking device. He received a referral to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.
  • At 10:49 p.m., an officer completing a building check of Grant South A Tower smelled the odor of burnt cannabis coming from a particular room. The resident of the room admitted to smoking cannabis and verbally consented to a search of his room. He then signed a search waiver form. The search revealed two items of drug paraphernalia and one gram of cannabis. The resident was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.

Thursday

• At 12:01 a.m., an officer on a routine building check at Grant South detected the odor of burnt cannabis from a particular room. After the resident allowed the officer voluntary entry and agreed to a search of his room, the officer discovered a grinder and bottle of liquor. The resident was given a referral to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor and possession of drug equipment.
  • At 12:11 a.m., a student left her purse unattended at the Holmes Student Center. When she returned to retrieve the purse, it was gone. An officer did an area search and recovered the missing purse minus a sum of currency. Pending new information, this case is administratively closed.
  • At 12:36 p.m., a theft was reported that occurred at the Recreation Center. The complainant left his iPod with personal belongings on the sidelines while playing basketball. The iPod was missing when he returned to retrieve it. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 3:34 p.m., a student reported the theft of his cell phone while at the dance at the Recreation Center. Pending new information, this case is administratively closed.
  • At 5 p.m., a student reported that his wallet was stolen while he was riding on the bus to class. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 6:17 p.m., an officer was dispatched to Stevenson North to investigate a reported theft. A student stated she left some currency in her room and it was almost all missing when she returned. This case is pending investigation.

Friday

• At 12:22 a.m., a subject was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption by a minor.
  • At 3 a.m., a subject was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption by a minor.
  • At 3:05 a.m., a subject was found to be in possession of cannabis and drug paraphernalia. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.
  • At 3:31 a.m., a subject was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol. The subject was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption by a minor.
  • At 3:46 p.m., the theft of a money clip and cell phone was reported to have occurred in a locker room at the Recreation Center. This case is administratively closed pending the discovery of new information.