Thank you to all who helped with STEMfest

By Letter Writer

I’d like to thank everyone who participated in NIU’s first STEMfest.

Thirteen academic departments, numerous student organizations and several outside collaborators partnered with STEM Outreach to fill the arena and multipurpose room of the Convocation Center on Oct. 23.

Over a hundred hands-on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities were explored by 2,600 children and adults during the event. A critical factor in the event’s success was the commitment of NIU faculty and student volunteers.

Approximately 250 members of the campus community offered all or part of their Saturday to assist in hosting the festival. Several of the exhibits and activities were contributed by student organizations such as the Pre-Professional Association, Chem Club, Physics Club, NIU MotorSports and the Society of Women Engineers, along with students from the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology.

Individual students, along with a number of student service groups, were instrumental in providing the needed volunteers. Your contributions to STEMfest did not go unnoticed, and your hard work was complimented by the many external exhibitors and public participants.

Throughout the course of the day I heard, “Your students explain things so well,” “They are so enthusiastic,” “The volunteers were so helpful when we were setting up,” and many more kind words. Thank you and keep up the good work. I could not have done it without you!

Pati Sievert

STEM Outreach Coordinator