Campus blotter for 10/06/10

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

AUG. 20

At 7:18 p.m., criminal damage to property was reported. The victim reported that someone had damaged his windshield while his vehicle was parked in Lot P. Due to no leads and no suspects, case is administratively closed.

SEPT. 8

At 10:14 p.m., an officer responded to Lincoln Hall for a report of a “peeping tom.” The complainant stated that she awoke from her sleep and saw an unidentified male peeping in her window. He ran away when he saw her looking at him. Due to no suspects or leads, case is administratively closed.

SEPT. 28

At 2:49 p.m., a complainant reported that unknown persons had cut down trees without authorized permission. This is a violation of the Illinois Conservation Law and the Illinois Natural Area Preservation Act. After the investigation was concluded, case is closed. The offender was given a verbal warning.

FRIDAY

At 12:55 a.m., officer was canvassing NIU Parking Lot J for a subject fleeing the scene of a theft call at Lincoln Hall. The officer observed a male fitting the description of the subject. Upon making contact, the officer observed the individual attempting to cover up an item on the ground with his foot. The officer then determined the items were small packages of cannabis. Upon confirming, individual was not the fleeing suspect, and the officer told the individual he would be referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct. Case is closed for refusal to cooperate.

At 1:24 a.m., officer on routine foot patrol of Greenbrier Road noticed three individuals standing near the driver’s side of a tan Chevrolet pickup truck. The three males were looking over the edge of the truck bed into a metal lock box. The officer approached the individuals and engaged in a casual conversation with them. Upon noticing the smell of unburned cannabis and through the continuation of his conversation, the driver voluntarily consented to providing the officer access to the cannabis in the vehicle. Case is closed on adult arrest.

At 1:13 p.m., an officer on alcohol enforcement patrol observed a male subject holding two cans of beer. The male did not appear to be 21 years of age. Officer spoke to him and he admitted to being under 21 years old. Officer told individual he would be referring him to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful possession and consumption of alcohol by a minor. Case is closed on refusal to cooperate.

At 2:27 p.m., officer on foot patrol of Greenbrier Road observed a female carrying an open can of beer while walking on the sidewalk. Officer approached the female. Upon further investigation, officer discovered the female was not 21 years of age. Female was told she would be referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption and possession of alcohol by a minor. Case is closed for refusal to cooperate.

SATURDAY

At 1:17 a.m., an officer observed an individual walking with a back pack in Lot X. The individual admitted that he was in possession of alcohol. Due to be under the age of 21, he was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor.

At 1:19 a.m., an officer took a report regarding a suspicious male in the Neptune North computer lab. The complainant advised that she felt alarmed and disturbed by the individual’s behavior while he was in the computer lab. Case is pending investigation.

At 1:34 a.m., an officer on a building check of the lobby of Lincoln Hall observed a male individual vomiting in the men’s rest room. Upon making contact the individual, the officer detected the odor of alcohol emanating from the individual. The individual, who was under the legal drinking age, was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

SUNDAY

At 11:22 p.m., officers on patrol of Douglas Hall noticed the odor of burnt cannabis from a particular room. Both occupants of that room admitted to smoking marijuana. They also revealed drug pipes and a small amount of cannabis in a jar. Both received referrals to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.

MONDAY

At 7:05 p.m., an officer took a theft report. Two students stated that they both had items taken from the same suite in Stevenson Towers North. One had an iPod stolen. The other had a sum of currency stolen from her purse. This case is pending investigation.