Professor creates webcast for Campus Sustainability Day

By David Matz

Wednesday marks the eighth annual Campus Sustainability Day.

In order for students and faculty to learn more about creating a campus with less of a carbon footprint and becoming more sustainable, David Goldblum, assistant professor of geography, has scheduled a webcast viewing event that will focus on campus sustainability in honor of the 8th annual day of awareness.

The webcast is at noon on Wednesday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium and is free and open to anyone interested in attending.

The webcast will feature David Gershon, who has written several articles and done research about the types of social change needed to become more environmentally friendly.

Andrew Revkin, former environmental reporter for the New York Times, will also join Gershon on the webcast and will discuss the impacts communities have against the environment as well as how to change the problems.

“It’s an interesting mix of looking at the science side of things but also looking at the social side,” Goldblum said. He teaches an environment and society class for a group of students in a Theme Learning Community.

The Theme Learning Community is comprised of 25 freshmen that take coursework focused on sustainability. At the end of the semester the students have to create a group project with the idea to make campus life more sustainable.

Originally the webcast was only going to be shown to the students in the Theme Learning Community but there was enough interest from other organizations and students that he made it available to all, Goldblum said.

“There’s a lot of interest on campus about sustainability,” Goldblum said. Seven other departments, including the department of anthropology, geology and sociology are co-sponsoring the event.

The webcast viewing cost the Theme Learning Community $195 and the funds were allocated from the College of Liberal Arts, which sets aside amounts of money to give to organizations and events like this, Goldblum said.