New policy at the Rec ignores jealousy as a motivator

By Logan Short

You’re not allowed to wear sleeveless shirts at the Rec Center. Bummer, right?

I’m not one to make a big deal about something as insignificant as sleeves. There are far more pressing issues in the world, not to mention on our campus, but come on! It’s a friggin’ gym! To see why in the world they would create such a policy, I went and talked to Sandi Carlisle, the director of Recreation Services.

Carlisle and I got to talking, and I asked her when the rule even started, because I didn’t hear about it until I saw someone on the basketball court be asked to put on a T-shirt. She told me the new policy went into effect Aug. 30 and the Rec had posted a notice on their website prior to the date it took effect to give people a heads up. Basically, though, staff has just addressed people when necessary (address, add-dress, get it? Eh, not that funny).

She said they have not had many complaints about the rule, which probably means people do not have that much of an issue with it. But for those of you who mumble “Really?” under your breath as you’re asked to change your shirt, I shall stand in the name of justice and equality amongst all shirts of every kind. So, the part you’ve been waiting for, what’s their reasoning for the rule?

Well, Carlisle told me that contrary to what most people thought, it is only partially a health reason and sleeved shirts only decrease the risk of MRSA infections, which is a normal possibility of getting at a gym, and still very low with or without sleeved shirts.

The main reason, though, is image. She said that some people are uncomfortable with so much exposure, but mainly that some people don’t come to the gym because they’re intimidated by those who wear such shirts. For example, in my first column this semester I wrote about freshman guys who see Mr. Universe at the gym and get turned off of working out.

The rule does not target just guys, though, because women, maybe even more than men, are also in constant pressure from media and society to look a certain way. This rule is to help alleviate that pressure for everyone. But what’s so wrong with pressuring people to get more in shape?

“If anything, it could drive people to work out more,” said Eric Horne, junior business administration major, talking about the effect wearing sleeveless shirts could have.

I agree, because usually it is the admiration or jealousy of someone else’s success that I strive to better myself.

But for those sake who truly are uncomfortable and even stressed by this pressure, I concede, because it should not take looking at GQ pictures of Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian to know that being healthy is important.

My biggest and really only problem with this new rule is that it applies to the various playing courts. Senior English major Carly Thunberg was actually a bit confused about the rule when I talked to her.

“[The new rule] seems better to me, the old college I went to had the same policy,” Thunberg said. “If I’m going to play a sport like tennis, though, I like to wear a tank top. That rule doesn’t transfer over to the courts does it?”

Yes it does, Carly. When I told her this, she seemed confused and said that she didn’t think people playing sports should have to wear sleeves. Yay! Someone who feels the exact same way I do about the policy.

I mean, seriously, basketball is played with sleeveless jerseys from junior high to the pros. Can’t there be an exception?

Carlisle said that wouldn’t be such a bad idea, except for when people want to play something and then go work out afterward; it would be harder to enforce.

I see your point, Carlisle, but isn’t there usually one worker in every work out area at all times? It wouldn’t be that hard to find those deviantly-sleeveless people and tell them to put a T-shirt on, staff has to do it already, anyway.

Students would have to obey the policy of sleeveless shirts are allowed on playing courts but not in the workout areas. From what Carlisle told me, the students are obeying this rule already without much resistance.

“We pay for the Rec, so if you feel more comfortable in a sleeveless [shirt], you should be able to wear it,” Horne said.

I know the policy has good intentions and probably does make the environment of the Rec. more enjoyable for some people, but when my stroke’s on fire, I want to be wearing a Jordan jersey.