Family weekend gives students chance to spend time with their loved ones

By MaryJo Kratochvil

Family weekend is approaching fast.

NIU’s annual family weekend is Sept. 10 through Sept. 12..

Christina Bieche, graduate assistant for Huskie Family Connections, said family weekend is a great time to show off the campus.

“Fall Family Weekend is not only an excellent way for NIU families to get acquainted with the campus and surrounding community, but also an opportunity to spend quality time with their Huskie student,” Bieche said.

Family weekend is an opportunity for families to look into the life of a student at NIU, said sophomore illustration major Cassandra Sroka.

“I think it is a good thing to have your family come up here so they can see where you are living and what you are doing,” Sroka said.

Freshman nursing major Samantha Garbacz said she is excited for her family to come up and join in the festivities.

“I am most excited for the football game because my little brother is old enough to actually understand it,” Garbacz said.

The weekend activities include Huskie football, Huskie soccer, Huskie family connections tailgate, bowling at the Huskie Den, Explore DeKalb County, NIU Art museum exhibits, DeKalb Kite Fest and many more.

Bieche said the advance tickets are not available anymore, but tickets for the first game still are.

“The advance ticket sales from Huskie Family Connections (HFC) are no longer available,” Bieche said. “However, football game tickets can be purchased from Intercollegiate Athletics or online.”

Tailgate ticket prices for HFC members is $12 and $15 for nonmembers.