NIU insurance waiver deadline approaches

By Sarah Brunson

The charge may go unnoticed in your Bursar’s Account, but NIU’s student insurance has incentives that students may be unaware of.

“We cover students 24 hours a day, all over the world, for illness and injuries,” said Carole Balli, Benefits Services Supervisor at the Student Insurance office.

This year the student insurance plan is through Aetna Student Health Insurance, which features an annual plan deductible of $250 and access to Aetna’s nationwide network of health professionals.

Although NIU student insurance covers students while they are hurt or sick, it does not cover well-care. This means that annual physicals are not fully covered by the plan.

Students that take advantage of the student insurance plan will also receive a discount on dental and vision care as well as a prescription drug card.

“For me, Health Services is all about convenience,” said junior journalism major Dan Tsutsumi. “It’s right on campus and my veteran education benefits pay for it.”

Students that are currently covered under either their own or a parent’s insurance plan have to option to waive the NIU student insurance and be reimbursed the $395 fee. Students will need their current health insurance information to complete the waiver form.

“My dad’s insurance plan covers me until I am 25,” said Katherine Milling, senior communicative disorders major. “I choose to opt out of the insurance provided through the school each year.”

Balli estimates that out of the eligible students at NIU, about 60 percent are covered under the school-provided insurance.

According to the Health Services website, “[it] is available to all students, full or part-time, living on or off campus, who are registered and have been assessed on-campus tuition and fees. Students may use Health Services without being enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan.”

The website also says that most appointments are covered by student fees, but there may be additional charges for medication, missed appointments and some equipment.

The deadline to waive the NIU student insurance is Tuesday, Sept. 7. Once a student waives their NIU insurance, the waiver is good for one year.

For more information on student insurance benefits or the waiver process, visit the site.