Freshmen talk about making college choice

By MaryJo Kratochvil

A new experience, a new home away from home, a new environment; there are many reasons why students choose a specific university — particularly NIU.

Alumni family members were a big factor in deciding to attend NIU, said freshman psychology major Kristine Shragal.

“I had family members coming here in the past and they liked it,” Shragal said. “Also, I chose NIU because there are more options for me and my major.”

Freshman history major Jose Ortiz said the close proximity to his home and friends was a major factor in his decision to attend NIU.

“The college is really nice and it is close to home, but the place also seems like a good learning environment,” Ortiz said. “Also, friends and family were a part of my decision.”

For freshman mathematics major Morgan Stotz, it was the size of NIU and student activities offered.

“I liked how close it is to home and the great education program they have,” Stotz said. “I love the campus and how it is a larger university. I wanted a larger school so that I can go to football and basketball games.”

Freshman marketing major Ericka Smith found that people around campus are friendly, which was a major factor in choosing her college.

“I like the campus and how it was all spread out and not compact like some schools I saw,” Smith said. “Also, the people seemed pretty friendly here.”