Trees, seating areas crop up as downtown DeKalb’s facelift nears competition

Construction is still in progress on Locust Street near National Bank & Trust 155 N. Locust St. and will continue through November.

By Amanda Podgorny

Re:New DeKalb, a group started in an effort to revitalize downtown DeKalb, is nearing the completion of the third phase of its downtown revitalization plan.

Phase three redesigned the way Lincoln Highway looked, said Jennifer Groce, executive director of Re:New DeKalb.

“The changes we have made to Lincoln Highway through Fourth Street include new sidewalks with bricks, trees and new lighting,” Groce said.

While the landscaping projects are not yet completed, students will still notice differences in the downtown area.

“There is a pedestrian pass through from Van Buer Plaza to Lincoln Highway,” Groce said.

DeKalb Mayor Kris Povlsen is very pleased with the results.

“It is gorgeous,” Povlsen said. “Bricks, trees and outdoor cafes are the three things that stand out the most.”

Several downtown business owners are also pleased with the changes made to the downtown.

“I love the changes,” said Vickie Obermiller, owner of Kids Stuff, 149 E. Lincoln Highway. “It was definitely worth the inconvenience that was there.”

Pam Faivre, co-owner of My Faivret Things, 249 E. Lincoln Highway, feels the positive energy the changes have brought into the downtown area.

“More and more stores are starting to come downtown because of the revitalization,” Faivre said. “It really enhanced the looks of the downtown.”

Locust Street is the final part of the phase three construction, but will not be completed before June 2011.

“Locust Street is completely under construction,” Groce said. “It is still open and totally assessable.”

The focus on Locust Street is to bury overhead utility lines and add new lighting, sidewalks and trees.

Construction on Locust Street will continue through mid-November and there will be a pause in construction for winter with work resuming next spring.

During phase one and two of Re:New DeKalb’s downtown vitalization plan, Van Buer Plaza was created, Second and Third Street were redeveloped to include new sidewalks, trees, lighting, street furniture and landscaping.

“We are right on schedule,” Groce said. “We actually finished Lincoln Highway ahead of schedule.”

Lauren Woods, owner of Cracker Jax, 118 N. Third Street, said the changes have improved the downtown exponentially.

“Sometimes you don’t even notice until you look back at older pictures,” Woods said. “We are really happy with the results.”

The final phase for Re:New DeKalb will be focused on private sector marketing and redevelopment. After the completion of the final phase of Re:New DeKalb, $12 million will have gone towards revitalizing the downtown.

Students interested in seeing the improvement to Lincoln Highway will have an opportunity on Thursday. Huskies SEE (Shop Eat Enjoy) DeKalb is from 3 – 8 p.m. in downtown DeKalb. Shuttle buses will pick students and residents up at the Holmes Student Center every 15 minutes starting at 2:30 p.m.

Participating restaurants will offer $5 meals when you present a NIU OneCard and there will be live music and a scavenger hunt.

“Become part of the community,” Povlsen said. “Because it is your community.”