Meal plan prices unlikely to be affected by economy in near future

By KYLE NABORS

Students living off campus who buy their own groceries can relate to Housing and Dining’s feelings in a weak economy.

Sharp increases in produce and cereals, along with fluctuating dairy prices, has made food ordering an ongoing challenge.

“We have to be far more cautious with our spending,” said Ralph Chaplin, director of residential dining. “You have to search for manufacturers’ specials.”

Housing and Dining hasn’t increased food prices since last fall, and despite volatile market patterns, Chaplin doesn’t expect an increase in meal plan prices next semester.

“After the school year, we will review all of our prices, but I don’t imagine that there will be any changes to meal plans,” Chaplin said. “The only changes that may take place are instead of serving type A of a product, we may serve type B if it is cheaper.”

Economics professor Khan Mohabbat thinks that the economy is having a minimal impact on NIU’s dining budget.

“They obviously have to meet a certain budget,” Mohabbat said. “But generally, they have ways to pass the increased costs on to the consumer in one form or another.”

Mohabbat says that there are two food types: necessary and expensive. The second type is being hit hardest by the recession.

“The general rule is spending depends on income,” Mohabbat said. “Consumers tend to avoid more expensive brands and higher priced cuts.”

This summer, Housing and Dining will get a welcome reprieve from the economic crunch when only Grant dining remains open.

“Primarily over the summer, we are only feeding camps and personnel,” Chaplin said.