Resources are available to aid students with final projects and exams

By KYLE NABORS

It’s the Sunday evening before finals, and the anxiety is building as two lengthy research papers and multiple tests stare you in the face. Papers and projects stack on top of each other, leaving many students scrambling to complete everything on time.

The feeling of being completely overwhelmed is something that students often have to cope with as the semester comes to a close.

Students who just can’t seem to manage all of their work can access a variety of services across campus to help develop a strategy.

ACCESS, which is located in Williston Hall, room 100, provides walk-in tutoring, one-on-one tutoring and organizes study groups.

“Anyone that needs help with their studies should stop in now,” said Director of ACCESS Shevawn Eaton. “We get busier the closer we get to finals.”

Eaton suggests that students print off a 24-hour time management calender from the program’s Web site.

“Over-estimate how much time each project will take,” Eaton said. “Start planning backwards from the due date and make sure to block off time to sleep.”

Students can also visit the Counseling and Student Development Center located in the Campus Life Building.

Diane Pospisil-Kinney, a counselor for the center, hopes students will take advantage of the center’s Coaching for Academic Success program. Counselors go over student’s study skills, such as time management and note taking, to help improve their skills.

Pospisil-Kinney suggests students take large projects and break them down into smaller pieces to avoid being overwhelmed by the project.

“Most students know these basic things; it’s just putting them into practice,” Pospisil-Kinney said.

The center also offers counselors for students who are suffering from anxiety and depression because of their heavy workloads.