Great opportunities to be found in NIU’s visual disabilities program

By AMANDA WALDE

The department of teaching and learning has recently received a large grant for the visual disabilities program.

With a nationally regarded program, the department helps graduate-level students prepare for a career in teaching blind and visually impaired children

Gaylen Kapperman, professor for the department of teaching and learning and the program’s coordinator, said there is an overwhelming need for teachers that assist the special education for blind and visually impaired children.

“Because of the dire need for teachers in this area of expertise, students who enroll in our graduate program will essentially be able to call their own shots after they graduate,” Gaylen said. “They will find good pay and excellent job security and a sense of meaningfulness not commonly found in other careers.”

Gaylen added these teachers will also play a significant role in the lives of blind children and their families.

Katie Ivancich, graduate assistant for the visual disabilities program, has received the grant. She said students should be aware of this opportunity.

“If I hadn’t received this grant, I wouldn’t be able to afford to continue my education in the visual disabilities program,” Ivancich said. “This opportunity will prepare me extremely well for employment upon graduation. I have a great knowledge base, and I am confident that I will receive an employment position quite easily.”

Student financial assistance is available for qualified individuals who wish to enroll in the graduate program and includes full coverage of in-state or out-of-state tuition, any additional fees, health insurance and a stipend of $5,000 per calendar year.

Students interested in the program can call Kapperman at 815-753-8453 or e-mail at [email protected].