NIU remembers Ric Ruiz

By AMANDA WALDE

Event Production Services (EPS) is mourning the loss of an NIU faculty member and friend.

On March 31, Ric Ruiz, assistant director of Student Involvement & Leadership Development and technical director and faculty advisor for EPS, died after battling pulmonary fibrosis for more than three years. The Northern Star talked with members of EPS and Campus Activities Board (CAB)

to share their memories of Ruiz.

Beth Collins, office manager for EPS and associate vice president for CAB, said she considered Ruiz to be a father figure and great mentor.

“He was such a good listener,” Collins said. “He was always guiding me through my life experiences both in and outside of the office. He was so welcoming to everyone that would come in. He had this mentality that we should all be part of a team, like family. It made coming into work every day very enjoyable.”

Joseph Lifshitz, production manager for EPS, also viewed Ruiz as a father figure. Lifshitz said Ruiz was always there for anything students needed.

“Ric was an outstanding faculty member and friend,” Lifshitz said. “He was a mentor to the hundreds of students that came through his office. He always brought a great sense of humor to work that I will really miss.”

Along with hundreds of students, Ruiz also left behind his two young daughters, ages 11 and 13. EPS is currently working on putting together a benefit concert as a tribute to Ruiz. The proceeds will be collected for both of his daughters’ college tuition.

Rebecca Gerstner, senior journalism major and member of EPS, said Ruiz was like family away from home.

“It’s hard when you’re out here, away from family, but he brought that tight-knit bond back to us here,” Gerstner said. “He always helped us find our way. He helped me get a job and introduced me to so many different opportunities. He was so awesome.”

Ruiz inspired EPS to build a parade float, which is featured in the NIU homecoming parade each year. The float is a giant sheep, a notorious symbol of the EPS office introduced by Ruiz.