Free summer accomodations no longer provided for Housing and Dining employees

By AMANDA WALDE

Students working at Housing and Dining this summer may need to look for alternative accommodations. While student workers in previous summers have had the option to live in the Stevenson residence halls for free, this deal no longer stands for everyone.

Housing and Dining employees who wish to live in the residence halls for no charge over the summer may only do so if they plan to remain in the halls through the fall.

David Duma, student manager for Neptune and Grant Dining, said this was the best solution for resolving the problems that have manifested over the past few years.

“Some students working in dining over the summer have abused the privilege of living in the dorms for free,” Duma said. “People often rent a room and never use it, or people who already have apartments charge their friends money to stay in their dorm. It is a big issue for the university because a lot of money is going to waste.”

Michael Stang, executive director of Housing and Dining, said only students with contracts for fall and spring may occupy the Stevenson rooms over the summer.

“This was designed to be an incentive for residence hall students who work and go to school in the summer,” Stang said. “We have found that students not living in the dorms in the fall have not been able to move out in time for us to prepare for students coming in August.”

Students occupying the halls over the summer will be asked for guests to stay no longer than 72 hours at a time, Stang said.

Veronica Tabb, textiles apparel and merchandising major, said she utilizes free living but will not be able to this summer because she is graduating in the fall.

“It will be a setback for students who had plans to save money so they could move out of the dorms and into an apartment,” Tabb said. “I can understand both sides of the situation because it is a security precaution, though it is a financial hardship [for those] who work and will now have to pay additional fees.”