NIU Rec tries to attract more students to intramural sports

By KYLE NABORS

The Recreation Center is launching new initiatives to get more students involved in its intramural sports program.

Next fall, the Rec is starting a residence halls point race that will award halls for both participation and wins. The tally will run through the entire school year with the winning hall receiving an award.

“Getting involved on campus is always important,” assistant director Matthew Lewis said. “Intramural sports are a great way to help build your leadership skills.”

In addition to the points race, Lewis is encouraging students who are interested in refereeing to sign-up for the fall semester. Lewis has been refereeing basketball for 20 years.

“All you need to do is stop in at the Rec and leave your contact information,” Lewis said.

Referee training usually takes between two and six hours and typically includes a video taping session designed to help teach new referees proper techniques and regulations.

Junior geography major Joe Sepulveda has been refereering since his freshman year.

“I start with softball and pretty much do it year around,” Sepulveda said. “It’s a great networking opportunity.”

Intramural referees have been busy with volleyball playoffs well underway and floor hockey beginning Monday. The sign-up period for floor hockey runs through the end of the week with a team of five to 12 members needed.

“After a couple of minutes of running up and down the court, you get pretty tired out,” Lewis said. “I would encourage teams to have more than the minimum players.”

Students who are interested in participating in a sport can join the Rec’s Facebook group to receive updates. Members of the group also have the opportunity to join fantasy sports leagues such as fantasy football and NFL Pick’em.