Presentation emphasizes history majors can do more than teach

By AMANDA WALDE

Career options in history may not be as limited as they appear.

Careers in Historical Professions, a presentation on career options for history majors and students at large, helped answer what job options students have with their history degrees after graduation.

Stanley Arnold, an instructor in the department of history, said history majors should keep an open mind when searching for employment and should be open to new possibilities.

“For history majors and other students, this presentation helps expand and enhance possibilities within historical professions,” Arnold said. “Especially during these difficult economic times, we would like students to obtain an advanced understanding of the multitude of careers they may apply their knowledge and skills toward.”

The presentation, held on Tuesday in the Campus Life Building, included appearances from the Sycamore Historical Society, an NIU archivist and various faculty members from the department of history.

Cindy Ditzler, curator for the Regional History Center in the Founders Memorial Library, said as a history major, she had trouble finding a job upon graduation. She quickly discovered that it was not the background of her education but rather her willingness to go above and beyond listed job requirements.

“I discovered a career in archives was far more suitable for me than a career in teaching, which, at one point, I thought was my only option,” Ditzler said. Ditzler, who will be celebrating her 20th anniversary at FML, said a lot has changed in field of archiving.

“When we documented the aspects of Feb. 14, it was different, because people wrote about their experiences on networking sites rather than writing in journals or diaries,” Ditzler said. “I recommend that all students get involved in the technical field as much as they can.”

Keith Wolfe, sophomore history and political science major, said the presentation broadened his horizon about potential opportunities in historical professions.

“This helps students, who often believe education to be their only option, discover alternative career paths,” Wolfe said. “I would, however, like to become a professor. It’s something I have always wanted to pursue.”