Recession causes restaurants to lose customers, raise menu prices

By AMANDA WALDE

The economic recession has caused a decline in customer turnout for restaurants and an increase in menu prices.

Ellington’s, the student-run restaurant located in the Holmes Student Center has also felt the surge of a failing economy. In the fall semester of 2008, Ellington’s doors were open three days a week. This semester, however, students and faculty are limited to the option of dining on Tuesdays or Thursdays only.

Joan Quinn, coordinator for the quality foods lab in Ellington’s, said the state of the economy has made it necessary for the restaurant to raise its menu prices. Meal prices have been increased by $1.

“The amount of days we are open is determined by the number of students enrolled in the FCNS320 class,” Quinn said. “Due to lower enrollment, we are open fewer days during the week, though we continue to see our regular customers. Most people visit us one day out of the week since lunch at Ellington’s is always a treat.”

Patricia Liberty-Baczek, administrative assistant for the LGBT Resource Center, said the faculty in the resource center have been more careful with their spending.

“Our attendance in Ellington’s is often menu-based though recently we’ve hesitated to make reservations,” Liberty-Baczek said. “Although our decision making is delayed, it’s nice to have something a little more high end on campus to bring our visitors and clients.”

Other local restaurants have always made adjustments for budgeting expenses while maintaining consistent cliental.

Beth Pottrel, manager at Shelley’s Restaurant, 901 Lucinda Ave. Suite H, said they have steadily seen a decline in their client base.

“We know that people are trying to be conscious with their spending so we’ve done our best to try and hold our prices on the menu,” Pottrel said. “We’re looking to bring back some of our specials to draw people in.”