No skatebording on campus, but skate park available

By AMANDA WALDE

Skaters excited to hit the pavement this spring could have trouble finding places to ride their boards. While “no skateboarding” signs posted on buildings around campus prohibit skaters from enjoying the warm weather, some feel that a campus skate park would relieve their frustration.

Some of the “no skateboarding” signs are located behind Neptune West and in the courtyard between Reavis and Zulauf as well as several other locations on campus.

Cindy Capek, executive director for the DeKalb Park District, said the DeKalb skate park is in good condition and open to all NIU students wishing to skate.

“The current skate park, located off of Dresser Road, is not in need of any improvements,” Capek said. “We are, however, working on resurfacing and landscaping issues. We are working to improve pavements in parking lots and parkways within the park.”

One student skater without a vehicle feels the current skate park in DeKalb is too far from campus. Freshman business major Garrett Lee said although skating has always been one of his favorite hobbies he has yet to try to skate on campus since attending NIU.

“Usually I see people skating over on the basketball courts behind Stevenson but there isn’t much there,” Lee said. “People get in trouble a lot for riding on the streets. Some people are mean to us when they tell us to leave places because they think we’re somehow against authority, but I try to be nice to them. It’s just hard to make it over to the skate park every time you feel like skating.”

Lieutenant Todd Henert from the NIU police department said there are no designated areas on campus for skateboarding.

“We run into issues on a fair occasion,” Henert said. “We usually give them a warning and ask them to leave because it’s dangerous for them and for pedestrians. Many of the handrails have bumps on them to keep people from skating on them.”

Skating around building facilities can be damaging to the area. Some skaters have been ticketed for damaging stairs and handrails. The NIU police encourage skaters to utilize the skate park although they are welcome to use sidewalks if they remain safe and pay attention to other people, Henert said.