Increased fees make students weigh advantages of dorms and apartments

By KYLE NABORS

Last Thursday, the NIU Board of Trustees approved student fee increases that will raise fees by an average of just below 5 percent and room and board increases at an average of over 8.5 percent.

The increases have some students, such as freshman sociology major Cierra Johnson, worried about their future at the university.

“It’s just going to make it more difficult for the students who are struggling,” Johnson said.

Owner of Mason Properties, Jim Mason, feels that the fee increases place the university in an odd position with local landlords.

“NIU is more financially advantageous than most schools, but by doing this, they put themselves at an extreme disadvantage with local apartment owners,” Mason said.

The owner of 10 apartment complexes around the NIU campus, Mason raised his rental rates by 2.5 percent.

“If you’re going to live in the real world, you’re always going to have increases,” Mason said.

“Why not take on the challenge of paying as you go. It’s going to be that way for the rest of your life.”

Michael Stang, the executive director of Housing and Dining, hopes that students will carefully consider all the costs of living off campus.

“There is no upfront cost,” Stang said. “You don’t have to worry about it if you’re going to have the rent money each month.”

Stang pointed out that students who live on campus are more likely to return to the university and graduate. Fall 2007 freshmen who lived on campus returned in 2008 at a rate of 73.5 percent while freshmen who lived off campus returned at 66.1 percent.

“They are more likely to be actively integrated into the institution,” Stang said. “The greatest challenge is privacy, but we like to think it’s offset by the type of community we create.”

Mason agrees that privacy is one of the biggest issues students have to deal with in their housing decision.

“Most people who choose to live in an apartment for privacy, security and lower costs,” Mason said.

Stang realizes that the dorms can’t compete with apartments in privacy but hopes that students factor in security and costs.

“We continue to provide quality services and security,” Stang said. “We hope that students feel like they are getting good value.”