RIAA has ended litigation campaign, but some NIU cases still pending

By KYLE NABORS

Although the Recording Industry Association of America has discontinued its litigation campaign, 34 NIU students are not in the clear yet.

In February 2007, 28 students living in the residence halls received pre-litigation papers from the RIAA. The letters accused students of illegally sharing downloaded music. Two months later, an additional 50 offenders were presented with pre-litigation papers.

RIAA spokeswoman Liz Kennedy confirmed that 44 of the 78 NIU students who were notified by the RIAA have settled their lawsuits. She described the remaining cases as still pending.

Most of the students who settled out of court were forced to pay damages in the $3,000 to $5,000 range. One junior nursing student, who preferred to remain anonymous, confirmed that she settled for around $3,500.

Senior sociology major Chris Paquette, one of the students to receive a letter, said he hasn’t heard anything from the RIAA since May 2007.

“The last time I talked to my lawyer, he advised me not to take any action on the case,” Paquette said.

In December 2008 the CEO of the RIAA, Mitch Bainwol, sent a letter to staff of the House and Senate Judiciary and Commerce committees explaining the reasoning behind the litigation notices.

“We simply had no other alternatives,” Bainswol said. “A whole generation of kids was growing up with the practice and concept that it was OK to take our music without paying for it. Schools chose not to engage.”

ITS has continued to suspend Internet privileges to students who are found sharing music on a peer-to-peer network. NIU may no longer be receiving pre-litigation notices, but the RIAA is still sending the university cease and desist notices.

“People think they can do whatever they want, but NIU’s Acceptable Use Policy is still in effect,” Information Security and Operations director Jim Fatz warns.

Students who are busted for illegal downloading a second time may find themselves in front of the student judicial court.