DeKalb High School, NIU more connected following tragedy

By CAITLIN MULLEN

Before last February, DeKalb High School and Green Mountain High School in Colorado had never interacted.

But after the Feb. 14 shootings last year, Green Mountain sent DHS a banner full of signatures and kind words. The banner came from the school’s B.I.O.N.I.C. (Believe It Or Not I Care) team, which was born from the Columbine tragedy in Littleton, Colo.

DHS students were shocked and couldn’t believe other people cared that much, said DHS Principal Dr. Lindsey Hall. In response, DHS is now starting its own B.I.O.N.I.C. team.

Hall’s eyes tear up as she remembers the shootings. She flips through the student newspaper following the shootings, and it’s clear the event greatly affected DHS.

Former DHS student Lexi Watie, who graduated last May and now attends Kishwaukee College, said the shootings were close to home — literally. She and her brother, who is currently a sophomore at DHS, were greatly affected by the event, she said, because her family lives practically on campus.

For Hall, the time since Feb. 14 has only enhanced the relationship between DHS and NIU.

“The tragedy spoke to the fact that we are all in this college town together, educating kids,” Hall said. “Many people here have a strong connection to NIU. The list is endless in how we’re connected.”

From clinical observers to student teachers to trainers, numerous students work at the high school. And plenty of DHS employees have children, relatives or friends at NIU.

Despite being on the outskirts of the Chicago suburbs, “this community still has a small-town feel,” Hall said.

Though NIU had the week off following the shootings, DHS was still in session, and Hall believes this was helpful.

“For many of our kids, school provides a support network,” Hall said. “We talked to the kids about it. We did things like make red and black ribbons and bag cookies.”

The DeKalb-Sycamore basketball game two days after the shootings was emotional for both teams and those in attendance.

“It was about putting aside our rivalry and being thoughtful and honoring NIU,” Hall said.

For the DeKalb-Sycamore Feb. 13 basketball game, there will be a moment of silence for NIU, “to acknowledge how we have pulled together,” Hall said.

“Feb. 14 should be talked about and not forgotten, but we move ahead and heal, and we recognize that,” Hall said.