‘Old Man Can’ leads double life as professional recycler

By AMANDA WALDE

Some college students are quick to blame their financial hardships on tuition cost, but one man may argue that the true investment lies within their dumpsters.

Known widely throughout campus as ‘Old Man Can,’ 62, fills his wallet with extra cash while students guzzle theirs away.

Glen Jennings, a maintenance worker for Star Properties, doubles as a professional recycler. In his mobile landfill, his truck, Jennings spends his time off work driving to collect thousands of cans from dumpsters throughout the college town.

Few students realize that when they throw away their empty cans, they are throwing away cold, hard cash, Jennings said. Though Old Man Can may not appear to live the most luxurious of lifestyles, he is certainly never short of change.

“Just last week, I sold a load of cans to the local recycling plant for about $300 weighing it at 400 pounds,” Jennings said. “In a year, I would say that I rake in an estimated $12,000.”

For many students who may have forgotten the color of a recycling bin since leaving home, Old Man Can serves as a constant reminder. Though collecting extra change is always helpful, Old Man Can insists he accumulates recyclables for much more than the money.

“With how much trash we put on this earth, collecting recyclables is necessary for future generations,” Jennings said. “I collect enough newspaper and cardboard to wrap the [Holmes] Student Center six times around. Most of the newspaper I don’t cash in. I bring it to animal shelters to pad the floors so the animals don’t have to stand on the cold concrete.”

Junior photography major Kelly Krupa said she sees Old Man Can outside of her apartment complex often.

“So many of the apartment units around here don’t have recycling bins,” Krupa said. “It’s frustrating, but I just started doing it myself once I found out that you get compensation.”