Events of past year show NIU’s true community-focused nature

By KEITH CAMERON

For a year NIU, DeKalb and Sycamore have collectively carried the memory of five students.

Windows, office cubicles and restaurant walls all bare the image of a Huskie wrapped in black ribbon, and occasional glances at these mementos can bring a stream of memories back when least expected.

The events of Feb. 14 have in no way been forgotten by the community, but the immediate emotions have become subdued. During the initial days following our school’s tragedy, barely anyone knew how to react.

A week without classes didn’t bring clarification or rationale to the community, and when every route of questioning brought more questions, NIU President John Peters had the best sentiment.

“An act of violence does not define us,” Peters said.

A year later, Peters remains correct, but his message has more significance because an act of violence does not define the people in a community either.

“There’s not a day that goes by since then that I don’t think in some way about that event and the people that were involved,” Peters said. “Most days I’m doing something about it.”

Members of the NIU, DeKalb and Sycamore communities demonstrated the profound sense of generosity and loyalty they have throughout this last year. As we reach the first anniversary Feb. 14, that community has changed.

Seniors have graduated and new freshmen have moved on campus. Some students have left, and others have transferred to NIU. Colleges are consistently a place of change, but the message we adopted on Feb. 15 of last year should not fade with the transition of students.

When the last student who attended class on Feb. 14, 2008 leaves NIU, hopefully the banner of cooperation which has held this community together will not leave with them.

“I was amazed at the way people cared for each other,” Peters said. “I would think to myself when I’d go to sleep at night: Why can’t people treat each other this way all the time?”

Every student, faculty member, professor and resident should hold themselves accountable to that question. Individuals who leave NIU should continue to live in the spirit of “forward, together forward.”

New students should learn that mentality from this school. If every person chooses to define themselves not with an act of violence, but with acts of hope, then our ideals will continue to flourish.