Slumping economy causes students to cut back on textbooks

By KYLE NABORS

DeKALB | Each new semester brings new students, last-minute schedule changes and the inevitable trip to a local bookstore.

Yet, with the deepening recession, many students are looking for ways to cut corners and save money.

While it may be hard for some students to take fewer classes without significantly changing their long-term plans, more students are choosing not to buy required textbooks they feel are unnecessary.

Gauging the effect the slumping economy has on sales is more difficult than simply looking at the figures, though.

“It’s hard to determine. Textbook sales are up, but so are the prices,” said Don Turk, manager at the University Bookstore.

The increasing book prices are causing many students and professors to pay attention.

“Students and parents are certainly taking prices into account,” Turk said. “A few professors seem to be taking notice.”

When students are registering for classes, they are often reminded of the required materials, but it’s not until they receive the syllabus that many students buy the textbooks.

“I’ve heard some professors say they know the syllabus says it’s required to get the book, but you don’t really need it,” said Emily Varichak, junior elementary education major. “A couple of my teachers even apologized the first day of class because their textbooks were so expensive.”

Some professors, worried about the financial strain book purchases cause, have altered teaching methods to help ease the burden.

“I teach one course where I don’t use a book,” said communications instructor Matt Swan. “I didn’t see the need for a text for that class, and I’ve thought that’s one less purchase students need to make.”

Others have resorted to placing more material on Blackboard, or putting books on reserve at the library.

“Go to class to see which textbooks are really needed, and consider older editions to help save money,” Turk suggested to students who want to save money.