Student fees: where they come from, where they go and what they will cost you

By AMANDA WALDE

Student Fees: Q & A

If you’re wondering where your money goes, the Northern Star may have the answer for you. Eddie Williams, executive vice president of Finance and Facilities, has broken down the hard questions and explained the oh-so and not-so obvious. A further breakdown of student fees can be found on MyNIU.

Who pays student fees?

All students taking 12 or more credit hours pay student fees.

Who mandates the student fees?

The NIU department of Finance and Facilities. All fees are reviewed by the NIU Board of Trustees.

What do student fees go toward?

•Academic Program Enhancement and Instructional Technology Fee- Used to support and maintain technology infrastructure, provide Internet access, support the campus backbone, databases, smart classrooms and various computer labs throughout campus.

•Undergraduate Services Fee- Includes busing, Grants-In-Aid and Health Services fees.

•The Undergraduate Activity Fee- Administered by the Student Association. This fee funds student organizations, student activities including clubs and programs such as concerts, films and speakers, as well as other events.

Are there any new fees this semester?

The Campus Improvement Fee of $6.25 a credit hour was approved by the Board of Trustees Sept. 18, 2008 to be implemented starting with the Spring 2009 semester. This fee was implemented to replace $1,343,700 of permanent improvement funds that were vetoed from the NIU FY2009 appropriation. In other words, the state cut base-funding to NIU by this amount. These funds are used to pay for routine maintenance such as repairing roofs, elevators, electrical systems, heating ventilation and cooling systems, sidewalks and other items.

Have any student fees increased?

The Academic Program Enhancement and Instructional Technology fee was increased from $100 a semester to $150 beginning with the Spring 2009 semester.

The Bond facilities fee did not increase this semester like it did last semester. The maximum charge for this fee each semester is $364.32, based on 12 credit hours. This fee is analyzed every year for possible increases. Students are part of the fee committee structure.