Campus museums entertain viewers with artwork

By AMANDA WALDE

Museums outside of the art building also offer a display of intriguing historic creativity. Though Altgeld galleries and the Jack Olson Gallery are among the largest art galleries on campus, the anthropology department also offers a display of ancient artwork and artifacts.

Located in the Stevens building, the Museum of Anthropology is currently hosting the year-long exhibition “Khmer Spirit: Arts and Culture of Cambodia.” This is the second part of a two-part exhibition presented in collaboration with the Cambodian American Heritage Museum and Killing Fields Memorial of Chicago.

The first part of the exhibition, “Cambodia Born Anew: Kamnoet Khmea Tmey,” was held at NIU in May of 2007. This two-part exhibition explores the rich customs and folklore of Cambodia.

Judy Ledgerwood, chair of the anthropology department, said this display is unlike any other exhibition hosted by the Museum of Anthropology because it focuses on the history of fine arts rather than artifacts of daily life.

“The artifacts selected for the exhibition are remarkable because they have been chosen by Cambodian Americans themselves. It has given them an opportunity to represent their identity and show the American people who they are,” Ledgerwood said.

Sean Kowalski, sophomore anthropology major, said checking out the Museum of Anthropology would be beneficial for all students.

“It is important to learn about other cultures that are different from our own,” he said. “We are then able to appreciate the things we have and the things we do not.”

The Jack Olson Gallery also continues to entertain viewers through the month of October with an exhibition.

Mary Ann Papanek-Miller, an alumna of the NIU Art Department, returns to the university with an exhibition titled “Looking for Alice: You Won’t Know Who to Trust.”

This exhibition is broken into three different groups of work, which evokes an explanation of cultural experiences relative to environmental issues. A dialogue about animal rights and rights of access to water are discussed through a reinterpretation of “Alice in Wonderland.”

Gallery Coordinator Peter Van Ael has followed Papanek-Miller’s work for 10 years.

“What intrigues me most about her work is there is always a sense of discovery within her images,” Van Ael said. “Each time you see her work, something pops out that you did not anticipate. The way she utilizes layering is very appealing.”

Papanek-Miller will return to NIU again in November to be on the jury for the Graduate Exhibition.