Future college generations may be alone in handling tuition bills

By GILES BRUCE

DeKALB | To the future students of NIU: You’re on your own.

In 2008, parents are saving less for their children’s education than in 2007, according to a study conducted by the College Savings Foundation. Sixty-five percent of parents have saved less than $5,000 for each of their child’s education, compared to 54 percent in 2007.

“I think lots of things cost more nowadays, Everything’s more expensive,” said senior psychology major Chuck Bessler of the reason parents are saving less. “I would say that students are fairly more independent than they used to be. They have to be.”

More parents are focusing on saving for their retirement in 2008, according to the study. In 2008, 53 percent of parents said saving for retirement is their top goal compared to the 45 percent who said saving for college is. In 2007, those numbers were 51 percent and 53 percent, respectively.

“I just think it’s because of the economy and more is expected from students as far as pulling their weight,” said freshman communications major Emily Tarkington from experience; she is responsible for paying for her own college education.

Twenty-two percent of parents said they receive help from their child’s grandparents.

“I think for one thing, because of the economy, we have to rely on each other to help out,” said Charline Xiaolin Xie, associate professor of family, consumer and nutrition sciences.

“Intergenerational relationships: We see more support nowadays.”

As far as grandparents helping their grandchildren with college costs, it depends on what type of grandparents they are, Xie said. She cited a sociological study that showed that most grandparents are “companionate grandparents,” which means they spend time and share love with their grandchildren without committing to actual responsibilities. The lowest percentage of grandparents are “involved grandparents” who would be the type to provide financially for their grandchildren, Xie said.

Jane Jordan, associate director of student financial aid, said that family members help students in other ways besides just paying for their education.

“We process many private alternative loans that require students to have a creditworthy cosigner,” she said. “We rarely know who the cosigner is or what relationship they have to the student.”