New High School Musical film grows up

By LINDSEY KASTNING

Warning: This film not as lame as the title sounds.

No matter what previous grievances are held against director Kenny Ortega’s “High School Musical” movies, the third film in the series will shock even the most severe critic.

Certainly, Ashley Tisdale, Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens must have spent their summer taking voice and dance lessons. They come in handy as they are certainly needed to outweigh the embarrassing performances in the previous films. Usually, a third film in a franchise is lackluster and leaves the audience bored, but “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” was larger than the screen.

Ortega must have told his cast to make the most of this film because it would be the last they would make together, and the last title in the franchise. The passion the cast has for each other and for the film shines through as heartfelt messages of having choices to make in the future, following your dreams and choosing love.

“HSM” has finally grown up.

It’s about time the Disney franchise took the steps to maturity. With intense new choreography, emotional scenes of being torn between sports and dreams and brighter, more mature costumes, the whole film is incredible.

If a person goes to the film hating musicals, Zac Efron, or mushy scenes, they will certainly be surprised to see the theater filled with more college students of both sexes enjoying the film rather than just young teens.

“High School Musical 3” was better than the first two films in the series by combining the tenderness of “Grease,” the energy of “Hairspray” and the passion of “Friday Night Lights.” With a more realistic depiction of what high school seniors face, and the trouble of having to say goodbye to those we love, the musical is impressive and highly entertaining. Plus, who doesn’t want to see Tisdale’s character finally get what she deserves?

The only negative aspect is one scene where the audience may want to throw up at the sight of Ashley Tisdale trying to pull off wearing a leotard. Her outfit definitely screamed wardrobe malfunction as the audience saw too much of Tisdale’s skin.

So, after viewing “High School Musical 3: Senior Year,” there can only be one thing left to say: GO WILDCATS!