LGBT observes National Coming Out Day

By AMANDA WALDE

Mack Lewis II celebrates his birthday Oct. 11 — National Coming Out Day.

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center is observing National Coming Out Day today as part of October’s LGBT History Month festivities.

Lewis, a former executive board member of the LGBT student group Prism, said. “LGBT history month is great because it brings awareness to an often invisible and misunderstood community. It really gets people talking about issues that LGBT individuals face on a day-to-day basis,”

Margie Cook, the founder and director of the LGBT Resource Center, which opened its doors to the NIU community March 17, 2003, is looking forward to hosting the month’s events at NIU.

Besides informing students, Cook said she hopes the month will help people on campus learn something new about the community and its people.

“It is a great opportunity for LGBT people on campus to find support and know that they are apart of a community at NIU,” Cook said.

Today’s observation of National Coming Out Day begins with “Do Ask, Do Tell” sticker day. Students, faculty and allies are encouraged to wear the “Do Ask, Do Tell” stickers to promote discussion about LGBT related issues. Stickers may be retrieved from the LGBT Resource Center located on the seventh floor of the Holmes Student Center.

Elijah Itah started working as a graduate assistant in the LGBT Resource Center this fall.

“I’m pretty excited about the “Do Ask, Do Tell” sticker day. It’s always nice to show pride and be a representative for the community,” he said.