Homecoming tradition continues with recycled boat race

By ALAN EDRINN

Uniquely designed floating devices sailed out of the East Lagoon Sunday afternoon.

Campus Activity Board continued its tradition of the Recycled Boat Races that took place from noon to 2 p.m. Sunday.

Participants in the CAB Homecoming events must be a student group or student organization.

“This event is a traditional event hosted by the Campus Activities Board every Homecoming season. Recognizing its importance, it was decided to continue on with the event,” said Karla Neil, CAB advisor.

The objective was for participants to build a floating device made of at least 70 percent recyclable, waste stream materials. The other 30 percent of the material could be new.

“There were three individuals who teamed-up to coordinate and plan the Recycled Boat Races: Christina Calhoun, associate vice-president for public relations; Ashley Walters, associate vice-president for educational leadership and Anthony Perez, CAB graduate advisor,” Neil said.

Perez said the spirit and large group of attendants is a great sight.

“It’s a funny concept but it’s environmentally friendly, so that’s really cool and I’m sure will catch a lot of people’s attention.

It certainly caught mine,” said sophomore math major Meghan Diem.

Fraternities Sigma Alpha Mu and Omega Delta, and sorority Sigma Lambda Sigma took first place, Lambda Sigma Sophomore Honor Society finished second and Chi Sigma Tau fraternity finished third.